Braces are set for patients for a long time.
Their sophisticated design is the perfect place for the spread of bacteria with improper care, which can lead to a violation of the structure of enamel and the formation of caries.
To prevent this from happening regular cleaning teeth with special hygiene products whose use allows you to preserve the whiteness of the teeth and a healthy oral cavity.
Home Braces Cleaning Tools
- Brushes: allow you to remove food debris and plaque from hard to reach places - interdental fissures, areas between the system itself.
- Orthodontic brush: differs in the middle by a V-shaped notch and a thin neck.
- Mono-beam brush: its soft and long bristles, assembled in one bundle, brush your teeth well under the arc and gum.
- Irrigator: not only cleans interdental spaces, but also massages gums and enhances blood circulation in the tissues.
- Dental floss: helps to process places that are difficult to reach - spaces between braces, teeth.
- The paste is enriched in fluorine, phosphorus, zinc chloride, calcium carbonate. She must be without bleaching componentsso that after removing the braces there are no yellow spots.
- Rinse solutions. Their use twice a day will strengthen enamel, and will help cleanse.
How to use a toothbrush?
After installing braces, you will need to purchase specialized toothbrushes.
- Orthodontic: differs in a small, less than three centimeters, head, as well as a V-shaped bristle.
- Electric: allows speed up the cleansing process.
- Monopunicular: its small head has a thin tuft of bristles, which allows it effectively clean the space between teeth and braces.
You need to proceed as follows:
- Squeeze out the paste and start brushing the upper teeth, making horizontal movements along the arc of braces.
- Repeat same actions for lower teeth.
- Place the brush at an angle at 45 ° in relation to the gums and brush teeth at the base slowly in a circular motion. Each tooth is spent not less than 10 seconds.
- Pushing hard clean the brackets.
Cleaning with a single-beam brush occurs according to the following algorithm:
- Squeeze out the paste.
- Attach the brush to the interdental area and, making rotational movementsclean it.
- Flush tool and repeat actionby going to another section.
Can braces be cleaned with an electric toothbrush?
Such tools are actively used by users, and bracket carriers are no exception. Its advantages for orthodontic patients are as follows:
- Making circular and vibrational movements, as well as having a small head size, she quickly copes with a raid even in hard to reach places.
- Cleans delicately without damaging the enamel.
When buying such a brush, it’s better to stop the choice on special nozzles - narrower and have soft bristles. It’s also worth buying a device that works in rotational mode.
Important! In the presence of braces electric the toothbrush will wear out more often. Would need every 2-4 weeks acquire a new nozzle.
However, the presence of an electric brush unable to replace the entire toolbox To clean the oral cavity, use brushes, irrigators, flosses are still required.
Proper Braces Hygiene
Oral hygiene with braces has its own characteristics. If it is followed, certain actions must be performed:
- visit the dentist regularly to adjust the system and monitor the condition of the teeth,
- be sure to clean the oral cavity after each meal with at least a rinse aid,
- use special devices for cleaning thoroughly - brushes and irrigators,
- thoroughly brush your teeth from all sides, periodically carry out professional brushing in the clinic,
- refuse solid products, particles of which may become stuck in the structure.
These are the recommendations the patient receives from his dentist. If you neglect them, the teeth will begin to deteriorate quickly, and this threatens the loss of health and a beautiful smile.
The frequency of visits to the clinic by a patient with braces is determined by two indicators: his personal feelings and external changes in the orthodontic design. You will need to go to the doctor if discomfort or pain appears, and also if there is a change in the appearance and shape of the bracket system. Experts recommend a visit to the dental clinic at least once every 2-3 weeks.
Step-by-step instructions for using a brush
This tool consists of a small diameter wire to which the bristles are attached. Use it with a removable handle.
Important! The diameter and length of such a tool need to choose the size of the gapsotherwise cleansing will not bring any benefit.
Form happens cylindrical or conical.
Photo 1. A picture while brushing your teeth with braces using a special brush.
The brushing action is as follows:
- Squeeze the paste on the tool.
- Place it under the arc into the interdental space.
- To clean the space by rotational-translational movements.
What it is?
This is a small device that water flows through a special tube under pressure on teeth and braces. Its use allows you to remove plaque, as well as other dirt in narrow areas inaccessible to the brush. Wherein gums and tooth enamel are not damaged. Use the device after brushing your teeth with a brush and a brush. To achieve greater effect You can add rinsers or decoctions to the irrigator.
How to use dental floss?
Floss is a thread that helps to effectively clean gaps. between teeth. Superfloss is also used, characterized by a softer structure and a sharp tip.
Photo 2. Using a specialized thread to clean the plaque between the teeth when wearing braces.
Floss cleansing is as follows:
- Tear the thread 20 cm long.
- Stretch it around the tooth the letter "C".
- Make movements up and down to the gums and back, thread the thread under the arc.
Important! Each tooth is processed new segment floss. If damaged gums during the procedure rinse your mouth with water.
Since when using the correction system, most of the tooth is closed by locks and an arc, then it does not reflect pollutioncaused by food colors, coffee, cigarettes. However, the rest of the enamel remains unprotected. therefore many patients experience darkening, which raises questions about cleaning.
What should I refuse immediately?
Before installing the braces, the orthodontist warns the patient of certain restrictions. What should i avoid?
- do not use adhesive products that can stick between small structural elements (for example, toffee sweets, chewing gum, prunes, etc.),
- avoid eating solid foods that could damage the integrity of the system,
- fresh fruits and vegetables can be used only after their preliminary grinding,
- you should refuse to use ice cream and other products containing ice,
- rejection of drinks that contain natural dyes - this is wine, coffee or strong tea.
Dyes found in products stain tooth enamel. If in a normal situation this raid can be cleaned, then with the installed bracket system the procedure will be extremely difficult. After removal of the structure, in the places where the braces were glued to the enamel surface, their contours will remain.
What you need to purchase for high-quality cleaning of braces and teeth?
Oral hygiene for braces will require the acquisition of many additional funds. The use of a conventional toothbrush will not help to clean inaccessible places and small details of the structure itself. You will also need:
- Bracket orthodontic brush, e.g. oral brush. B. Its difference from the usual brushes for us in the existence of a V-shaped notch on them, which is located in the middle. Thanks to this cut-out, more thorough cleaning can be carried out around the teeth, braces and the arch.
- Orthodontic brushes. With their help, food debris is removed in between the structural parts and teeth. Due to the large selection of shapes and sizes, you can choose, taking into account the individual characteristics of the patient.
- Dental floss (floss or super floss) - designed to clean the dental and braces. For bracket systems, it is better to use superfloss. Such a thread has a variable thickness along the length, which allows you to clean the structure better.
- Special dental pastes and fluids. Throughout the treatment, it is recommended to give preference to fluoride-containing drugs.
If possible, you can buy an irrigator - an orthodontic device that delivers a special liquid or water under pressure. The outgoing thin stream clears gaps and inaccessible places of the structure. The irrigator is quite an expensive device, but will maximally contribute to the high-quality cleaning of the bracket system.
Mandatory rules for the care of braces
The first rule before installing braces is to conduct a complete sanitation of the oral cavity. Tartar is removed, caries is cured, teeth are whitened. Bite treatment can last about two years, and if mouth sanitation is ignored, then the presence of caries or tartar during this time can lead to tooth loss. If the attending physician missed this point in the treatment of occlusion, it is worth doubting his professionalism. Braces hygiene includes additional rules, compliance with which is also important:
- In order to clean the teeth and bracket system properly, you will need to increase the time of hygiene procedures. The first couple of weeks for each cleaning will have to allocate 30 minutes. After, when the skills are acquired, the whole procedure can be 10 minutes.
- The cleaning itself is repeated at least three times a day. If eating more often, then you should adhere to the rule - ate and cleaned within 15 minutes. After this time, the jammed food will begin to decompose, which will entail bad breath. And the aesthetic appearance will be spoiled if the rest of the breakfast or lunch appears in the bracket system.
- During the procedures, utmost attention is paid to the interdental spaces.
- They will help strengthen tooth enamel and saturate it with paste miners that contain fluorine and calcium.
- It is imperative to always have dental floss, brush or irrigator with you. An unforeseen situation may occur when you have to dine in a cafe or restaurant, but there is no money to clean your mouth.
In addition to the basic rules, it is worth strictly following the sequence of the procedure itself how to clean the braces. Do not be scared if the first time it does not work out to do everything qualitatively. Experience comes with time and if you stick to the right pattern, then brushing will become just as common a procedure as brushing your teeth.
How to clean braces: procedure description
The procedure for proper toothbrushing with the installed bracket system consists of the following steps:
- If the design contains additional elements in the form of rubber bands and rods - they are carefully removed. After rinsing the mouth with water, they begin to clean the teeth. To start, use a regular brush. With habitual movements, pollution is eliminated with its help.
- Then, using the orthodontic brush, the brackets, braces and arc are cleaned. Horizontal movements are carried out along the arc. Particular attention is paid to gaps. Each tooth should take at least 10 seconds. A well-chosen brush can eliminate 80% of the bacteria.
- The gaps between the braces and the teeth are well cleaned with a brush. Help to better eliminate pollution reciprocating motion. Also with a brush you need to walk well along the root zone and gingival sulcus.
- The presence of an irrigator will help soften and push out the remaining particles of food.
- The final stage involves the use of superfloss. A new piece of floss is used for each individual gap between the teeth. After, the oral cavity is rinsed with a special liquid, and then with clean water.
To avoid damage in the bracket system, the cleaning procedure is performed with light movements without undue pressure.
Professional dental cleaning with braces
Even if the patient knows how to properly clean the braces and adheres to all the rules, still it is not possible to carry out the cleaning procedure perfectly. Often plaque appears on the teeth, which cannot be cleaned with ordinary orthodontic appliances. The attending orthodontist will initially advise once every 2 months to undergo professional brushing with braces in the dental clinic.
The professional cleaning procedure is performed using laser radiation, ultrasound and chemical solutions. After brushing, the teeth are coated with a special varnish to saturate the tooth enamel with fluoride.
Additional Bracket Care Tips
To simplify the procedures for daily cleaning of braces, additional small tricks will help:
- It is better to consider the remnants of food that are stuck in braces, you can use a small convex mirror. It enlarges the displayed objects.
- There is no way to purchase a special orthodontic brush? It can be made from an ordinary toothbrush. With nail scissors along the middle, cut the bristles with the letter V.
Also, during the cleaning procedure, you can often rinse your mouth with clean water. This will help to better clean up the leftover food, which has already stirred up a brush and a brush.
Stains on teeth after braces? What to do?
After the long-awaited removal of the bracket system, many patients will experience another disappointment. Now perfectly even teeth are stained and again you have to hide a smile. Professional brushing after wearing braces is normal.
The bearing of the structure did not allow tooth enamel to be evenly cleaned, stained with food colors and covered with plaque. What to do? The solution to the problem is a simple tooth whitening procedure, which can be carried out in any dental institution. The only condition is to withstand in this condition for a month, so that the teeth can undergo adaptation after wearing braces.
Observing all the rules of hygiene for cleaning the bracket system, after removing it, the teeth will please not only the correct bite, but also health.
The frequency of hygiene procedures
Normal oral hygiene involves brushing 2-3 times a day. The peculiarity of the braces is that the design contributes to the delay of food debris near the teeth, as a result of which the plaque is formed much more actively.
Because of this, the frequency of the procedure should increase to 4-5 times a day. To perform toothbrushing is necessary no later than 10-15 minutes after leaving the table. Otherwise, food particles in the oral cavity will begin to decompose, which will lead to an unpleasant odor.
When buying a toothbrush, it is recommended to opt for a product with soft or medium hard bristles. It is good if there is a rubber overlay on the back of the head for cleaning the tongue, and its bristles have a V-shaped neckline that allows you to clean hard-to-reach areas of braces. In a high-quality product, the pile should not fall out or stick out in different directions.
In addition, it is recommended to use a brush with a single rounded tuft (mono-beam brush). Outwardly, it looks like a thin stick, at the end of which there is a head made of bristles. This model is ideal for cleaning the space between the teeth and braces. Using conventional brushes of a traditional shape, chewing surfaces can be cleaned.
According to the research of dentists, in the first months after the installation of the bracket system, the teeth begin to intensively lose calcium. As a result, the enamel becomes less dense, the risk of caries increases. As soon as the patient has braces, it is recommended to opt for toothpaste with a high content of calcium.
At the main stage of using the orthodontic design, the washing out of fluorine begins, now the paste should contain an increased amount of this particular element. Using fluorinated products will restore the mineral balance of the teeth and strengthen them. But whitening pastes are not recommended, they reduce the density of tooth enamel, which is already under load.
With prolonged wearing of braces in the oral cavity, inflammatory processes can occur. This will be noticeable by the state of the gums. Periodontitis is manifested by bleeding, softening of tissues and their soreness. To eliminate unpleasant phenomena will help pastes containing chamomile, sage, oak bark.
Dental brushing algorithm (with video)
Correctly clean the braces must be phased, using different hygiene products. In this case, the cleansing will be as complete as possible.Thorough cleaning should be carried out at least once a day using the following tools and devices:
The rest of the time, you can clean the braces with a brush and a brush, without using other means. Cleaning should be carried out correctly, this will protect the teeth from possible problems. To do this, squeeze a small amount of toothpaste onto the head of the brush and begin to clean the upper jaw with horizontal movements, moving along the metal arc of the braces.
Then the same movements need to be reproduced on the lower jaw. At the next stage of the procedure, each tooth must be massaged in circular motions at the base of the gums for at least 10 seconds.
The brush helps to clean hard-to-reach places that are not accessible to the brush. They make rotational-translational movements with little pressure. Dental floss (floss) and irrigator complete the cleaning procedure. Not only the surfaces of the teeth should be cleaned, but also the interdental spaces.
Dental floss can be round (for wide gaps) and flat (for narrow gaps), it must be selected individually.
A segment of floss is wrapped around each tooth, covering its lateral surfaces, after which they make smooth up and down movements, reaching the gum tissue. Dental flossing with braces must be carried out by turning it behind the arc.
Irrigator is a special device that delivers water under pressure to the area of teeth and gums through a special tube. Thanks to the powerful water flow, plaque and food debris are removed. In this case, the contact of the irrigator nozzle with the teeth and gums does not occur. The device can be used instead of a brush and dental floss or as an addition to them.
Mouth rinses have different purposes and are selected according to indications. Some may contain calcium or fluorine, while others may contain herbal extracts. Use rinse aid at the end of the cleaning procedure or independently during the day, for example, after eating.
The dependence of hygiene on the type of bracket systems
With the help of braces, teeth are corrected not only in adolescence, but also in adulthood. The principle of operation of this device is based on the use of a wire arc and locks that are mounted on the teeth. Bracket systems should stand for a long time - 1-2 years. The design creates constant pressure on the teeth, forcing them to change their position, due to which the dentition is leveled.
Hygiene rules do not depend on the type of structure installed, but there are several points. Braces differ among themselves by the material from which they are made. They can be:
Plastic devices are the cheapest. Their advantages include ease of installation and inconspicuous appearance. Plastic braces hardly deliver discomfort when worn, but eventually lose their aesthetics due to staining with food colors. It is impossible to clean them when staining. They will not correct severe curvature of the teeth, as they exert moderate pressure. To make the design more reliable, a wire arc helps.
Metal braces are used most often. For their manufacture, titanium, nickel, steel and other alloys are used. Metal structures are durable and easy to maintain. They are distinguished by low cost and ease of installation. The disadvantages include the aesthetic component: such braces are too noticeable on the teeth. For cleaning, standard tools are used: brushes, flosses and orthodontic toothbrushes.
The advantage of a ceramic bracket system is its strength, safety, attractive appearance, and resistance to staining. Due to the white color, the product is imperceptible on the teeth, you can choose a shade to match the color of the patient’s own enamel. The disadvantages of the product include high cost, the complexity of installation and a longer wear period. Therefore, you need to take care of them more carefully.
Sapphire correction systems use artificial transparent stones. Due to the high cost, such products are not installed too often. A feature is the ability to correct the most complex curvature of the teeth, they are more suitable for adult patients. The sapphire design is incredibly durable, but difficult to install and maintain.
By the type of installation, bracket systems are divided into classic and lingual. In the classical method, locks and an arch are fixed on the outside of the dentition, lingual - mounted on the inside. Patients who are shy about wearing braces prefer to choose the second option, because such a design is completely invisible to others.
With all its advantages, lingual orthodontic devices have some disadvantages. They are distinguished by a higher cost, complex installation, and a long adaptation period. Some patients may even have speech problems. It’s more difficult to care for lingual braces than for classic ones - cleaning them out is completely problematic due to poor visibility.
The classification of braces also depends on their device. Classics are considered ligature systems. More modern are the ligature-free (self-ligating) braces. In ligature braces, the arc is fixedly fixed on locks with the help of special fasteners. These are more affordable products that reliably serve to correct the curvature of the dentition. In the process of wearing socks, the ligatures lose their elasticity and require replacement by the dentist.
In the ligatureless designs, special sliding clamps are used, this can significantly reduce the time of wearing braces. In this case, you will have to visit a doctor less often, and replacing the arc will occur faster and with less discomfort. The design without ligatures is convenient to care for, it has a more compact and attractive appearance. Its only drawback can be considered a rather high cost.
After installing the braces, the orthodontist always gives detailed recommendations regarding their cleaning, taking into account the complexity of the problem being solved, the presence of allergic reactions in the patient and the installed system.
Why is special care required?
Unfortunately, not all patients understand the importance of proper dental care while wearing braces and often simply ignore the doctor's recommendations. That is why in this article we will try to answer the question: why do you need special care when wearing braces?
- Firstly, it is an extraneous element in the oral cavity that causes discomfort to the patient. In the first days of wearing braces, there is increased salivation, and increased acidity in saliva can destroy enamel.
- Secondly, patients often touch the tongue and the inner side of the lips with the fasteners and the surface of the braces, which may cause small wounds. And when bacteria enter the injured area, stomatitis can develop.
- Thirdly, during a meal, food particles are always stuck in the structure. This contributes to the accumulation of plaque on the teeth. If you do not brush your teeth after eating, then plaque very quickly turns into tartar and increases the likelihood of tooth decay. That is why doctors insist on brushing your teeth at least three times a day.
- Fourth, a toothbrush and toothpaste are not enough to care for braces. For care, special devices are required that will facilitate the hygiene process. And besides this, the process of brushing your teeth is greatly complicated due to the design of the braces.
Braces for dental care
For brushing your teeth with braces you will have to purchase a special orthodontic brush. The orthodontic brush differs from the usual one in that it is shorter in the middle of the villi.
It will not be superfluous to buy a monopushed toothbrush, which is designed so that you can brush each tooth individually.
To remove food particles from hard-to-reach places a dental brush is required. Not all toothbrushes can penetrate into small gaps between the teeth and the design of the braces, which is why you definitely need to buy a brush.
Floss (dental floss) is also needed for thorough care. For convenience, it is best to buy superfloss. Superfloss designed specifically for the care of teeth while wearing braces has a compacted area that facilitates the insertion of floss into the spaces between the teeth.
For effective oral hygiene, an irrigator must also be used. This is a small appliance with a water tank.
How to brush your teeth while wearing braces
Depending on the type of bracket system, there are two main ways to brush your teeth.
1. If the patient has fixed braces, then dentists recommend brushing your teeth in the following way:
- The brush must be positioned at an angle of 45 degrees. Brush movements should be short and have a forward-backward direction. In this case, you need to brush each tooth for at least 10 seconds.
- The same movements need to clean the inner surface of the teeth.
- Particular attention should be paid to the farthest teeth and chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- Toothbrushing should be completed by cleaning the braces with up and down movements, and then vice versa.
- Particular attention should be paid to the interdental space, for this it is best to use dental floss.
With oral hygiene, you need to remember that the design of the braces can easily bend, so you should not apply great force when brushing your teeth.
2. If the patient wears removable braces, then the method of oral hygiene is much simpler:
- After removing the braces, it is necessary to thoroughly clean those parts of the oral cavity that are covered with berets - gums and palate.
- The teeth themselves can be brushed as usual, as well as the use of dental floss.
- The braces themselves must also be cleaned. To do this, you can use ordinary toothbrushes and pastes.
- Do not forget to rinse your mouth.
Note that the use of dental floss with fixed braces is required. Therefore, we consider in more detail this method of oral hygiene.
How to use dental floss for braces
Dental floss is quite difficult to use with braces. At first, every person has problems with this, so often patients neglect dental floss.
But orthodontists insist on the use of floss after each meal, in order to avoid the development of dental diseases in the patient.
To clean the interdental space, it is better to use waxed dental floss, that is, coated with wax. The design of the braces has sharp edges for which the thread clings. In order for the thread not to break, it must be covered with wax. To clean the interdental space you will need about 40 centimeters of floss.
In order to floss to clean the surface of the teeth under the braces, the floss must be carefully threaded under the structure. It is best to find a place where the distance between the teeth and braces allows you to thread the thread. If it is difficult to do it yourself (or the child wears braces), then it will be optimal to ask for help from a loved one.
After the thread is threaded (between the structure and the teeth or two teeth), it must be well fixed on the index fingers. After that, start moving back and forth. The thread must be in contact with each surface to be cleaned.
At the end of cleaning, gently pull the thread so that it does not catch on the braces. This way you clean two teeth. The procedure must be performed until you clean all the interdental surfaces. On average, the entire procedure for flossing with braces takes 7 minutes.
Braces Dental Care Reminder
|Teeth should be brushed at least three times a day. Ideally, you need to clean the surface of the teeth after each meal.|
|Be sure to use dental floss to clean the interdental crevices. It is best to do this immediately after eating, but since this procedure takes a lot of time, it will be enough to do this before bedtime.|
|For hygiene, fluoride-containing toothpaste and rinse aid should be used to minimize the likelihood of tooth decay.|
|You should always carry a brush and floss with you to be able to brush your teeth and braces anywhere.|
|It is necessary to reduce the amount of sweets in the diet.|
Dental care in the presence of a bracket system takes much longer than the usual oral hygiene procedure. Remember that ignoring basic hygiene rules will only harm your teeth.
Is it possible to bleach?
The procedure for clarifying teeth with professional tools in the dentist's office using braces not applicable. There are several reasons for this:
- Whitening teeth in braces after removing them you can find dark spots. After that, it will be difficult to cope with them.
- Componentsincluded in the bleaching products damage the bracket design itself. Especially if it is made of metal or plastic.
- Enamel suffers heavy loads when using the orthodontic system, which makes it very sensitive. Whitening will adversely affect quality.
Undergo bleaching not allowed, any dentist will discourage from this. but there are other ways to clean the tooth surface from pollution and plaque. In addition to the use of soft whitening pastes, they include professional cleaning.
Types of Occupational Health
Undergoing treatment with an orthodontic design, professional cleansing recommended regularly at least once every 6 months, and better often. It is of three types:
If there is no hard deposits on the tooth surface, then hygienic cleaningwhich has a milder effect.
The doctor cleans with a brush rotating at high speeds and a special paste each tooth.
If the patient has a hard coating, stones, plaques, then it is used ultrasonic cleaning.
Also she Helps eliminate yellowing of enamel or bad breath. A special device operating in the ultrasonic range delivers water to the tooth enamel.
Air Flow Procedure not only removes plaque and makes the enamel whiter, but also polishes the surface of the teeththat does not allow pollution to linger. Therefore, the effect of the procedure is kept long time. The principle of such cleaning is similar to ultrasound. A mixture of water and soda under strong pressure is applied to the teeth.
Hygiene after braces
Tooth enamelwhen working for a long period with braces, becomes thinner and more sensitive. Often this causes its demineralization, and, consequently, the appearance of caries.
In addition, after wearing the correction system enamel color may change, white or dark spots appear at the place where the braces were located.
For these reasons, after they are removed many patients undergo whitening teeth. Although it is optional, but it helps restore the shade of the teeth, brightening the enamel by several tones, thereby making the smile more attractive.
Attention! Not always whitening can go immediately after braces removal. After treatment, the enamel is characterized by increased sensitivity, and this is a contraindication to the procedure. Tentatively six months are required to strengthen the teeth.
Beautiful smile after braces
During orthodontic treatment it is important to be careful about hygiene the oral cavity. It is necessary not only to thoroughly brush your teeth, but also to use special devices. There is nothing complicated in using them, but have to spend more time cleaning, than usual. but this will maintain oral health, and after braces enjoy not only smooth, but also beautiful, white teeth.