Cocaine is also “coke”, “dust”, “snow” - this is a strong psychostimulant - created from the leaves of the Coca plant. The substance was originally created as a remedy for coughing and nasal congestion, however, after people became addicted and had health problems, it was categorized as a drug and banned.
Given its plant origin, the cost of cocaine is very high, which is why it has been dubbed the “drug for the rich.” However, on the street you can also meet him, but under the guise of a cheaper smoking option, better known as “Crack”.
Signs of Cocaine Use
Of course, to determine in the early stages that a person is addicted to "Coke" is very difficult, especially for people who rarely encounter drug addicts. Typically, relatives recognize in his close addict, when he has a pronounced dependence. However, cocaine-dependent can be quickly identified by signs such as:
- A man honors himself with confidence.
- Mobility and activity, which is not manifested in everyday life.
- Causeless laugh.
- Regular visits to places where you can retire (toilet, bathroom, cellar, etc.).
- Lack of personal hygiene. The addict often neglects cleaning the house and washing clothes, etc.
- Stealth appears.
- Periodic bouts of aggression.
- Dilated pupils, while the smell of alcohol does not emanate from the mouth.
- Loss of appetite.
- Rapid weight loss.
- Periodically, nosebleeds occur, although a similar phenomenon has not been observed in humans before. Some people may experience what is called a “Columbian runny nose” (mucous discharge with blood clots).
- Frequent headaches and insomnia.
- High blood pressure.
- Pale skin.
- Rapid breathing.
- Appearance in the apartment of pipes and mouthpieces for smoking or inhalation through the nose.
- The presence of a light white coating on DVDs, a glass table or a mirror.
- Finding very small bundles of paper, polymethylene, etc. containing bright white powder or slightly yellow crystals.
- Cocaine is an expensive drug, and accordingly money savings and valuable things that can be sold (furniture, appliances, jewelry, etc.) begin to disappear from the house.
- The addict asks for large sums of money without explaining what he intends to spend it on.
- The appearance of debt.
In addition to determining by the above signs, identify a cocaine addict using a "multitest". It can be purchased at the nearest pharmacy for about 300 rubles. A multitest for drug detection works similarly to a pregnancy test.
What is the danger of cocaine?
Having used cocaine, a person almost immediately begins to celebrate a strong euphoria, confidence, there is a feeling that mental abilities have significantly increased. Also, the mood rises, a person wants to dance and communicate. In parallel, a strong psychological and pathological dependence arises.
Additionally, severe damage is caused to the body. Prolonged use of cocaine provokes the occurrence of the following consequences:
- Cocaine has a strong effect on the electrical activity of the heart, causing arterial spasms, which can lead to a stroke or heart attack, even in a healthy person.
- The onset of psychosis in acute form.
- Hair loss.
- Tooth decay.
- Dystrophy of the internal organs.
- Impotence in men and infertility in women
- Nervous exhaustion.
- Mental and physiological abnormalities in the offspring.
- Overdose followed by death.
People who use the drug in combination with alcohol are at high risk. The fact is that with the combination of alcohol and cocaine, a poison called cocaelite forms in the human liver. And therefore, using alcohol under the influence of drugs, there is a 75% chance of death.
Cocaine is not an easy “white powder,” which causes intense euphoria and adds color to the club party. Despite the fact that this substance has been dubbed the “drug for the rich,” it takes no less human lives than cheaper heroin. That is why cocaine to date, cocaine is one of the most dangerous drugs.
The main signs of cocaine use lie in behavior
In order to notice the signs of cocaine use in time, it is important to understand the principle of action of this drug. With a stimulating effect, it leads to behavioral changes such as:
- excessive self-confidence. A person feels absolutely omnipotent, which makes him behave cheekily, dare others,
- desire for action. Thanks to cocaine, a person feels cheerfulness and a surge of strength, he takes on any business, while doing it unusually quickly,
- talkativeness. A person seeks to communicate, while he speaks quickly, uttering clearly every word. He laughs a lot during the conversation, but his optimism and friendliness do not look natural,
- sudden mood swings. The soul of a company can dramatically turn into an aggressive and impulsive person for no apparent reason. Abrupt mood swings are also due to the stimulating effect of cocaine.
Such strange changes in behavior do not last long: from 20 minutes to an hour. After this, the action of cocaine passes, and high spirits are replaced by depression, lethargy, depression.
There are also signs of cocaine use, manifested constantly due to pathological changes in the human body and nervous system. The regular use of cocaine leads to the following consequences:
- lack of appetite,
- deceitfulness, insecurity,
- aggressiveness, impulsiveness,
- neglect of work or study, family and friends, even their own hobbies.
Often, addiction makes a person forget even about personal hygiene.
What is the effect of cocaine?
Influencing the central nervous system, cocaine causes a feeling of euphoria, a person becomes very active, talkative and sociable.
The main uses for cocaine are in the form of a paste, injection, or in the form of a powder that is rubbed into the gums or inhaled through the nose. If you inject cocaine or smoke, the effect will happen almost instantly.
After using cocaine, a person becomes, as if, obsessed: he may have different ideas and plans, the implementation of which he will give up all his strength, which often leads to accidents. However, after about an hour and a half, just such a time, the action of cocaine, the feeling of euphoria disappears, and the person’s mood changes.
The effects of cocaine on the body occur in different ways. First of all, it affects the human brain. By causing vasoconstriction, cocaine use can lead to a stroke. The drug also affects the heart. Often people who use it suffer from heart problems, even fairly young people who have never complained about any illnesses before. This, again, is due to the narrowing of blood vessels and blood arteries under the influence of a substance. The contractions of the heart muscle become more frequent, and the amount of blood, meanwhile, is reduced. So arrhythmia develops and a heart attack is possible.
Cocaine use irritates the mucous membranes, possibly causing respiratory problems and lung disease. Since the drug narrows blood vessels, renal failure also occurs, which is especially dangerous for people who already suffer from high blood pressure.
Poison negatively affects sexual function. It contributes to the deterioration of sexual activity in both women and men. The consequences of taking cocaine are as follows:
- Joy is replaced by depression, a person can become aggressive and depressed.
- The body gradually ceases to experience the same sensations as, for example, with the first dose. Therefore, the next one usually gets bigger every time.
- With each dose, the effect of cocaine becomes stronger, and you want to use it more and more often.
- The consequence of cocaine use can be the death of nasal septum tissue. He feels pain in his nose, he is bleeding, and as a result a hole appears in the septum.
- At the psychological level, a person develops depression, psychosis, and nervous disorders.
- Due to its short action, cocaine use can lead to an overdose, which in turn increases the likelihood of a lethal dose.
Cocaine addiction treatment possible
There are examples of real people who themselves came to the conclusion that their drug abuse adversely affects the body. Signs of use can often be determined by simply observing changes in human behavior.
You can understand that a person is using drugs according to certain criteria. Firstly, a person’s mood changes more often than usual, he is either very angry, or, on the contrary, very happy with something. Secondly, outwardly, a person also changes: his skin becomes dry and pale, the pupils dilate, perspiration is more abundant than usual, gag reflexes disappear, the intestines work poorly.
Despite the harm caused by cocaine addiction, many do not seek to abandon it. Dependence develops more strongly on the psychological level than on the physical.
The way out of addiction is accompanied by unpleasant sensations, again here there is depression and irritability. Sometimes, people trying to get rid of addiction have thoughts of suicide. Getting rid of addiction with a strong will and with a decisive mood lasts about three weeks. But no one can guarantee that after a few years a person again will not want to take a dose. It is better for experienced doctors to monitor the treatment, who will be able to give the necessary advice and recommendations to both the dependent and his relatives.
If you find signs of cocaine addiction in your loved ones, but you can’t cope with its treatment yourself, contact a specialist for help. The “Chance” help center in the city of Bryansk will be able to provide you with the necessary support and assistance in the matter of drug addiction.
In the clinic you will have all the necessary procedures for the treatment and recovery of the patient. For many years, professional psychologists have been working with drug addicts and argue that there is no insoluble problem.
Everyone can go through the examination to see if treatment is needed at all. Also, after an individual diagnosis, specialists will develop an individual course of treatment. Psychological trainings are provided for the patient’s relatives, where psychologists will tell and advise how to behave in a particular situation, how to accelerate the recovery of the addicted.
Any problem can be solved, the main thing is the desire and mood for treatment.
In time to recognize that there is a problem and begin to solve it - half the successful path!
External Distinctive Symptoms of Cocaine Use
To detect signs that a person is using cocaine, relatives and friends need to carefully monitor his appearance. This is especially true for young people, starting from school age. Each change individually may be caused by other reasons, but together they are very likely to confirm doubts.
White powder residue
Cocaine in the form of a white powder is sold in small bags. It is used by inhalation through the nose. The effect occurs within the first minutes. During this time, under the influence of a drug, a person does not have time to notice a mess in his clothes, does not look in the mirror. Traces of powder may remain on the collar, under the nose, and on things.
If, for the sake of justification, it is not the first time that it is argued that “it was stained with powder, flour, washing powder,” one cannot believe. It is enough to compare the feasibility of using safe white powdery substances and the place where they are identified.
Runny nose of dubious origin
For cocainists, signs of an intranasal drug simulate a runny nose. Irritation of the inner surface of the nose causes increased secretion of mucus, "sniffing", the need to touch the nose, wipe. With prolonged use, a classic symptom of cocaine becomes a thinning of the nasal septum, frequent bleeding.
There are no other signs of ARVI (temperature, pain and redness of the throat, cough). A doctor will be able to fully respond to suspicion after an examination by an ENT specialist. To exclude allergic rhinitis, intradermal tests are performed with popular allergens (plant pollen, pet hair). It is necessary to insist on an examination and find out the cause of the common cold.
Changes in the eyes under cocaine are caused by the effect on the pupil muscles and scleral vessels. The pupils are held in an expanded state for about 30-60 minutes after ingestion. They do not change under the influence of light. Well visible in people with a light color of the iris. In brown-eyed drug addicts, it is difficult to consider such a sign. Dilation of the pupil of the eye after probable cocaine intoxication may also be a consequence of another drug.
Since the pupil does not protect the retina from excess rays during the duration of the drug’s use, drug addicts do not tolerate bright light due to pain and pain in the eyes. Usually they tend to go into a darkened room, wear black glasses. Scleral vasodilation gives the eyes the appearance of "bloodshot." Redness is especially noticeable in the morning.
Where can I find the injection marks?
Signs of cocaine use are detected intravenously by examination of the internal elbow bends, external veins on the hands, feet. With repeated use in the veins, the walls become inflamed, painful seals (thrombophlebitis) are formed. Scars in the form of dense “paths” appear on the skin from inaccurate actions. Sometimes drug addicts adapt to injections in the most unthinkable places, for example, in the scrotum vein.
The emergence of drug devices
To use cocaine intranasally or intravenously, people use different devices. Therefore, you should pay attention to the unusual position of objects with a flat smooth surface (mirror, computer drives). They spray the inhaled dose. To collect, apply paper tubes (banknotes). Dilution of the powder is carried out in tablespoons. To enhance the effect, lemon juice and vinegar are added to the solution.
With intravenous administration at the initial stage, disposable syringes are used, then drug addicts do not pay attention to infection and sterility, they can be injected in the group with one syringe. Items indicating drug use are found under the table, behind the sofa cushions, in the bin. It is possible to simultaneously detect plastic packaging for cocaine.
External signs of cocaine use
Being careful, you will notice signs of cocaine use even in the early stages of a person’s addiction. Subtle changes in his appearance, as well as material evidence of drug use will help identify the disease before it worsens. Pay attention to:
- traces of white powder. Inexplicable whitish dust can be found on the coffee table, on magazines, disks and clothing. Since the most common way to use cocaine is to inhale the drug through the nose, traces of the powder may remain on the nostrils, the upper lip of a person,
- frequent nosebleeds. This phenomenon is also explained by regular inhalation of the drug, which leads to the destruction of capillaries and damage to the nasal septum. In addition, a person who uses cocaine has a constantly stuffy nose, although there are no other symptoms of the common cold,
- eyes. As under the influence of any other stimulant, the addict's eyes turn red and the pupils dilate. Redness of the eyes is especially noticeable in the morning, as the addict also suffers from insomnia,
- strange finds. A mirror in traces of white powder or a regular CD, small spoons, glass tubes or twisted pieces of paper - all these addicted objects are used for cocaine use. Such finds in the room of your loved one are undeniable evidence of his dependence.
Of course, before making final conclusions, you need to talk with a person, try to get answers from him. If your suspicions are confirmed - do not give up. Turning to the specialists of our rehabilitation center, you will save your loved one and defeat addiction forever.