There is probably no person who would not see the ant. Different types of these insects live in almost every corner of the world. There are no ants only in Antarctica and on several islands located in the middle of the ocean. In our latitudes you can meet them, going to the forest and meadow, working in the garden and in the garden. Some species settle in houses and apartments and cause a lot of inconvenience in such a neighborhood, regularly eating all the sweets and meat products they could reach. Thanks to their size, they can penetrate almost anywhere. So you have to get rid of these "domestic" insects by all means.
Walking through a forest or meadow, you can come across anthills of other, larger representatives of these insects. One must be careful not to step on or hurt these structures. Insects will bite, defending their territory. Ant bites in small amounts of severe harm can not be done, but they will certainly deliver a lot of unpleasant minutes. After fleeting pain, redness, irritation and itching will appear. Such “pleasant” symptoms can last for several days. Formic acid gets into the wounds, which causes itching.
The bite of the red ant is especially unpleasant. Sufficiently strong pain lasts about half an hour. Insects of this species are large (8-14 mm), and inject a significant dose of acid at a time. Ant bites are especially unpleasant for children. It is necessary to carefully monitor the condition of the child during the day after the incident. In case of any deviations, it is necessary to call an ambulance without any doubt.
To reduce the intensity of irritation, the bites of ants, that is, the lesion site, should be washed with water and wiped with any disinfectant. You can use folk methods: wipe with a solution of soda or aloe juice, apply cold to reduce swelling. If there is a tendency to allergies, it is advisable to take an antihistamine. You should carefully consider the problem if the ant bite fell on the mucous membranes: lips, eyes and larynx. In this case, the poison quickly spreads throughout the body. If the temperature rises, nausea or dizziness, headache, palpitations or shortness of breath appear, urgent need to seek medical help. In some cases, ant bites can lead to a severe allergic reaction and anaphylactic shock.
It is necessary to consult a doctor if several days have passed and the wound has not healed, there is redness and swelling. Sometimes there is an appearance in the center of the wound of pus - this is a sign that it is infected. Most often this happens with children who cannot resist and comb itchy places. To prevent this trouble, you should use ointments that reduce unpleasant symptoms (sold in pharmacies without prescriptions).
If you have been bitten by these insects, you can be comforted by the fact that you have taken a course of therapy. Ant poison is used in the treatment of neuralgia and joint diseases. From dried and living insects, ant alcohol and various tinctures are made. In some countries of Asia and South America, several species of ants are eaten: they are fried or seasoned with meat dishes.
In the world of insects, ants are highly organized creatures whose life is orderly, filled with continuous labor. Attack animals, people are not characteristic of them, if there is no reason. The ant will bite for self-defense, when the danger leaves him no way out. If it is possible to part in a good way, a peaceful inhabitant of lawns will simply run away about his business.
Thousands of species of ants are distributed around the world. Conditionally, it is possible to distinguish poisonous and safe representatives of the family. In our country, in the neighboring border areas there are innocuous species. The most famous ants:
- forest red - the inhabitants of gardens, small forests - 8−11 mm The red-brown breast gave the name to the builder of large anthills,
- black garden - residents of bulk houses are smaller than forest species. On the black body you can see the villi,
- home - the smallest representatives, up to 3 mm in length, brown. They adapt well to any conditions, eat bread crumbs, sugar.
The bite of a domestic ant is extremely rare, it remains almost unnoticed, since it most often does not cause any reaction. A photo.
The black inhabitants of the gardens bite like mosquitoes - it is unpleasant, although these lesions do not bring much alarm. The greatest discomfort is created by the bites of red ants.
Due to the ability to infect human skin with varying degrees of depth, the factor of infection transmission unites all local inhabitants. Domestic ants, along with street ants, often lay trails through garbage chutes, waste, and places of accumulation of sewage.
Exotic species of ants living in tropical countries are much more dangerous. So, the bites of Thai ants are a real disaster for tourists. Insects penetrate into flour sweets, sweets, things, cosmetic bags. One crumb is enough for an army of small creatures to attack the entire table. Travel lovers should know in advance about the features of overseas arthropods, what ants bites look like on a person, photo:
- Siafu (soldiers) - are found by nomad ants in Africa, South America. Ant bites on humans are usually multiple, as individuals move in large colonies. Insects have a terrifying appearance - the jaws are larger than the head. Lesions cause allergic reactions, which are manifested in edema, itching, redness of the skin,
- Ant 24 hours - lives in South America. The second name of the insect is a bullet, which conveys the nature of pain after a bite, similar to being wounded by a shot. The condition can deteriorate sharply from intoxication - the ant secretes the strongest poison poneratoxin. The lesion site becomes black, swollen, numb. The pain persists for a day. From multiple bites without medical assistance, a fatal outcome is likely
- bulldog ant. It is found in Australia, on the island of Tasmania. Many bites of giant ants, up to 3 cm, cause an acute allergic reaction to the state of anaphylactic shock,
- fiery red - causes very severe lesions with the development of acute allergies. The bites of red ants are very painful, resemble burn wounds. They are found in South America, but are also found on other continents, as they adapt well to new conditions. The bite of a fire ant leads to the appearance of tumors. Strong poison poses a life threat to people prone to allergies, has a neurotoxic effect,
- yellow - causes bites of skin irritation, swelling, pain. Animals weighing up to 2 kg, after the attack of a yellow ant can die.
Going on a trip, it is recommended to study the local inhabitants in order to know what the bites of ants look like, how to neutralize poisonous aggressors.
Symptoms of bites and consequences
Damage to the skin due to a puncture in the jaws or sting is accompanied by the injection of poison. At the heart of the complex substance is formic acid, which is why painful bites of ants are felt like attacks by mosquitoes or bees, if a puncture causes severe burning. What an ant bite looks like can be seen in the photo. More often there are paths of several small wounds from the movement of insects in the legs, arms, and lower back region.
The main symptoms of the lesion:
- small swelling at the site of damage - up to 5 cm,
- redness of the skin around the puncture,
- the formation of a small pustule bubble
- itching in the affected area.
Local ants cause a weak, rarely an average degree of an allergic reaction. Signs of defeat disappear after a day, sometimes persist for 3-4 days. Bites of domestic ants are hardly noticeable. Photo reflects dot traces from insects. If you comb with a sensation of itching the area with skin punctures, then infection of the wounds will intensify the painful reaction, leading to the formation of pustules.
Acute allergic reactions to bites of domestic ants, black, and red are unlikely. The danger increases with multiple lesions in the mucous membranes - formic acid in the nose, mouth, eyes.
A common reaction to multiple bites:
- urticaria - a red scattering of blisters on the skin, frequent before fusion into spots,
- Quincke's edema - local swelling in the area of subcutaneous fat in the area of the ears, lips, nose, cheeks, passing to the larynx, pharynx. Swelling of the tissues of the larynx, vocal cords is a life threat. Persecution, hoarseness pass into shortness of breath. Urgently call an ambulance or go to the nearest hospital.
The bite of red ant, other tropical insects causes symptoms of a general allergic reaction:
- shortness of breath
- lowering blood pressure
- heart palpitations.
In rare cases, anaphylaxis develops. The reason is the individual intolerance of toxic components. Manifestations are expressed by dizziness, hypertensive jump, sometimes loss of consciousness. The toxic composition of certain species of insects provokes exacerbation. So, the bite of a red ant, like other exotic arthropods, requires medical attention.
Bites of domestic ants, photos reflect their paths on the body, are treated at home. The algorithm for eliminating unpleasant symptoms is as follows:
- Wounds should be washed with soapy water to eliminate the infection.
- Apply cold (a bottle of cold water wrapped in ice cloth) to relieve swelling.
- Wipe the lesion with an antiseptic solution (Miramistin).
- Pharmaceutical preparations (balms, gels, ointments) to relieve itching, redness.
What can be taken from an ant bite is a widespread means of action against insect damage, skin irritation - Fenistil gel, Advantan ointment, Golden Star balm.
- Persons with allergic manifestations should take antihistamines, which are dispensed in a pharmacy without a prescription - Suprastin, Tavegil, Claritin. If symptoms persist, if you feel unwell, you need to consult a specialist (therapist or allergist). The prescription includes, as a rule, the use of steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs of the cortisone group.
If the child is overtaken by an ant bite, what to treat will tell, in addition to symptoms, the behavior of the baby. Itching is difficult to quickly remove even effective means.
To prevent the child from scratching the wounds, it is recommended to apply a bandage.
The use of folk remedies relieve pain, irritation:
- apply ice with chamomile (intermittently),
- treatment of bites with baby soap,
- lubrication of the affected area with mint toothpaste,
- lotions of solution from baking soda and water (1 teaspoon of soda to 1 glass of water),
- apply onion juice or lemon slice for 1 minute.
At home, from the leaves of aloe, parsley branches, plantain leaves, you can make gruel by chopping herbs, put wounds in place to eliminate itching, pain.
Treatment of small wounds from ant bites should be carried out in all cases, since insects are carriers of infection. Disinfection of unpleasant traces - the prevention of serious diseases.
Briefly about ants
There is a separation between insects. For example, the ants in the apartment are tiny and do not pose a threat to humans, although they annoy him. Although the species of ants in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus are not considered dangerous, they, like any other insects, can be carriers of various infections, so you need to get rid of them. If the ants in the forest will not attack for no reason, then the ants in the house will voluntarily or involuntarily bite the hosts in case of accidental contact. Insecticides will help cope with unwanted guests. Ants in the kitchen will stop bothering if they are treated with boric acid.
What order does the insect belong to? These are typical hymenoptera, although the working ants are devoid of wings. They live in nests called anthills. The uterus, the ant queen, is responsible for the reproduction of ants. Outwardly, the uterus is slightly different from ordinary females. It has large sizes and wings, which it nibbles after fertilization.
The lifestyle of insects is unique: reproduction is possible not only after fertilization of the uterus. She lays eggs in any case, only from the fertilized new uterus and working individuals appear, and from the unfertilized - males. And now we select those types of ants whose bites pose a threat to human health:
- ant bullet - Already his name thrills. Paraponera clavata not only painfully bites, but also has a threatening appearance. Only the size of his sting reaches 3.5 mm in length. Ponerotoxin is present in insect venom. This substance causes unbearable pain and paralysis. You can meet clavata only in Central and South America,
- woodcutter ant - the largest ants in the world, their size reaches 3 cm (in females). Weight maximum - 380 mg. It occurs mainly in the tropical forests of Thailand. It feeds on mushrooms, other ants and termites. Especially large prey, large insects, consumes as necessary,
- fire ants - when it comes to the most dangerous ants in the world, the first to remember are the red ants, which are also known as fire ants. Distributed in South America, are small in size and extremely toxic poison,
- pharaonic ants - are also called ship. They fill the houses and settle next to the person. Egypt is considered the birthplace of domestic ants, but now the insect is spread around the world. The individuals bite not painfully, but their very presence in the house causes concern, in addition, house ants greatly annoy small children. The length of the female is 3-5 mm,
- nomad ants - individuals capable of migrating over long distances. They live mainly in South America and Africa. One of the varieties of these ants are roving ants, also known as killers. They are aggressive and attack even small animals - lizards, frogs,
- bulldog ants - of all varieties of insects, this species is the most dangerous. His bite causes severe allergic reactions, and the cause of the pain, which persists for several days, is considered a strong poison,
- reaper ants - insects up to 8 mm in size. Shy and try to avoid the person. The jaws of such an ant are extremely strong. The insect is able to gnaw even the insulating winding. The reaper’s attacks are painful due to a very powerful sting,
- red ants - middle name - forest. Distributed in Eurasia. They got the name because of the color - insects are brown-red with a dark head. They play an important role in the field of forest protection,
- african antsliving on trees - known as weavers or tailors. They live in the tropics and subtropics. They use silk to build nests on trees, less often - directly on the surface of the soil. They are located 60 cm and above from the ground. Protect your tree from attacks of other insects. There is also an Asian tailor ant that lives in India and Asia. The insect has powerful jaws and has an aggressive disposition.
In the life and reproduction of insects, public order plays a huge role. In anthills live builders, workers, "nannies", soldiers. Flying males use wings during the swarming period, and die after fertilization. Insects have a strict hierarchy, and non-observance of the order is severely punished.
Due to the individual intolerance to the poison of ants, a person may develop a dangerous condition. Especially sensitive allergy sufferers may not survive because of this. Signs of an acute allergic reaction are:
- itching at the site of the bite and throughout the body,
- severe pain of a burning character,
- lowering blood pressure
- urticaria, blisters and other dermatological reactions,
- Quincke's edema.
What does a regular ant bite look like? If a person is not prone to allergies, then he may not even notice that he has become a victim of an insect. Multiple bites are another matter. In this case, the damaged area itches, turns red, becomes inflamed. Symptoms are worse if the mucous membranes become the affected area.
Fatal are the bites of ants living only in southern countries. A black forest or garden ant poses no threat to humans. However, his bite can cause negative reactions in the child.
If an ant bite causes unbearable pain, you should consult a doctor. Some species sting more painfully than wasps and bees, and their poison is more toxic and causes general reactions of the body. What to do with a bite at home? First of all, the place of damage should be treated. For this, any antiseptic is suitable. If the insects attacked in nature and there is no first-aid kit at hand, you need to wipe the bitten place with at least a damp cloth or rinse with drinking water.
В случае опасности аллергии сразу же принимают антигистаминный препарат. На помощь придут проверенные средства: «Кларитин», «Цетрин», «Зодак». Снять зуд и отечность помогают холодные компрессы. If you apply cold immediately after a bite, you can avoid the spread of poison. Sorbents - Polysorb, Smecta, activated carbon - will be able to neutralize the toxin in the human body. However, these drugs are not taken in conjunction with other drugs, since they neutralize their effect.
Itchy skin can be anointed with a soothing cream or gel - “Fenistil”, “Rescuer”, “Nezulin” help from insect bites. Hormone-based drugs are used in exceptional cases. The group of effective funds includes Advantan, Akriderm.
Topical preparations help cure ant bites. For painful and multiple injuries, corticosteroids are used. Treatment of ant bites against the background of acute allergic reactions involves the use of diphenhydramine and its derivatives. It will be possible to neutralize the poison of exotic ants with the help of plentiful drinking and sorbents.
For allergies to ant bites, the development of anaphylactic shock should be excluded. For this, adrenaline is used. The program of therapeutic measures includes antihistamine therapy, NSAIDs and hormones.
How to treat adult bites if ants have bitten? To prevent skin from scratching, use antipruritic drugs. Children can glue the site of the bite with a band-aid so that the child does not comb the wound.
Folk remedies can cope with the consequences of a bite - among effective methods:
- Echinacea tincture - suitable for external treatment, relieves swelling after an ant bite,
- aloe juice treats the site of damage to stimulate healing and antiseptic treatment,
- a solution of soda, prepared at the rate of 1 tsp. per glass of water, recommended for the treatment of damaged areas and disinfection,
- if you apply a slice of lemon to the inflamed skin, the swelling of the redness will decrease,
- a table bite is suitable for processing, it is used for lotions or compresses, diluting the drug in half with water,
- Onion bite helps with ant bites. With increased sensitivity, the product is diluted with water to avoid irritation.
If an ant has bitten a child of the first year of life, then parents should closely monitor the changes occurring with the baby and keep records of observations. In the future, this information will be useful in the treatment of a bite and in order to prevent allergic reactions in contact with insects.
Complications and consequences
If a person gets poisonous ants, then the consequences of their attack can be disastrous. There are known cases of death after bites of giant individuals of tropical origin. Insect venom can cause disorders in the central nervous system and chronic dermatitis. There are no negative consequences after a bite of European ants. Insects can be dangerous for unattended babies.
It is believed that at night the ants are inactive. But it is not so. If insects have settled in the house, then the owners of the house know that there will be no rest. Neither time of day, nor seasonality affect the activity of pests. It remains only to use traps and insecticides to destroy uninvited guests. After disinfection, the apartment must be carefully cleaned.
As for safety in nature, you should not settle down for a rest next to the anthill. When traveling in southern countries, they avoid contact with insects and use repellers to process clothes. Antiallergic drugs and external antiseptics are taken with you on trips.