Tumble forward with a turn, otherwise turn a somersault forward (somersault) or turn without touching the pool wall with your hand - the fastest, but also the most technically difficult turn. Most often, such a turn is used when swimming the crawl for short distances.
Characteristic feature forward somersault: rotation is performed around the transverse (anteroposterior) axis of the body in the vertical plane, and then the longitudinal axis of the body in the horizontal plane, the rotation is closed.
Consider the technique of performing a somersault forward without touching the pool wall when swimming crawl on the chest:
- Swim to the wall and touch: About 1.5 meters to the wall, the swimmer takes a breath and performs the first half of the stroke with the front hand, the other arm is extended along the body.
- Rotation: Rotation in the vertical plane begins with an energetic movement of the head down to the chest, while the shoulder girdle moves down behind the hand performing the second half of the stroke. The pelvis rises. Legs bent at the knees are thrown forward above the surface of the water and placed on the wall, hands help rotation.
- Repulsion: Hands are thrown forward in the direction of movement and there is repulsion by energetic extension of the legs in the supine position (since the athlete performed a half-turn in the rotation phase in the vertical plane).
- Slip: During sliding, the athlete turns first on his side, then on his chest.
- The beginning of swimming movements and exit to the surface: When the speed of movement equals the speed of movement at a distance. The exit to the surface is due to movements with legs and hand stroke.
There is a variant implementation technique turning somersault when the swimmer touches the pool wall at a depth of 50-60 cm from the surface of the water. Also, with this embodiment of the technique, in the rotation phase, the swimmer first rotates around the horizontal axis of the body, and then around the longitudinal axis of the body so that by the end of this combined rotation it appears on the chest or side, and then put the feet on the pool wall. Then there is repulsion and sliding, during which the athlete, if necessary, carries out a “trick” in the horizontal plane in order to take the position for swimming on the chest (when swimming the crawl) or on the side (when swimming on the side).
Turning somersault forward with touching the wall while swimming the crawl on the chest
Flip forward with a turn according to the techniques described above is used when swimming crawl on the chest and the way on the side.
Highly qualified swimmers can use forward somersault without touching the pool wall with your hand while swimming the crawl on the back. The turning technique has some differences:
- Sailing: Sailing on his back to the pool wall, the athlete completes the stroke with one hand and leaves it extended at the hip. Then he performs an energetic long stroke with his other hand to the thigh and at the same time turns on his side to the side of this hand and immediately to his chest.
- Rotation: The head plunges sharply down to the chest, the body bends, a somersault is performed forward, the feet are placed on the wall of the pool, the arms are thrown forward, similar to a turn when swimming the crawl.
- Repulsion, vigorous extension of the legs in a supine position.
- The beginning of swimming movements and exit to the surface: swimming movements with arms and legs begin simultaneously and provide rise to the surface.
How to make a turn when swimming in the pool. Pendulum and somersault - somersault
In the article you will learn about the rules for making a turn when swimming and about the types of turns in the pool.
There are two types of reversal in swimming:
A pendulum pivot can be much faster than a flip. Because the pendulum is easier to master, and the somersault is technically more difficult, therefore, when it is completed, instead of winning seconds, they lose them.
The principle of the pendulum is quite simple. When you swim to the side, touch it with one hand, make a group and pull your legs up. Then remove your hand in the opposite direction and push off with two legs, during the push, pull and unscrew the case.
The look of this reversal is more complicated, but if you hone it, you will win fractions of a second. To perform a correct flip turn, you need to swim to the side at arm's length, start making a hand stroke and group. Then a somersault is made and the legs should lean against the side. Next, you need to make a powerful push with twisting and exit the turn.
Performing these exercises, you will certainly learn to swim and will swim like a rocket!
SwimRocket swimming school regularly hosts master classes from our coach Viktor Nikolaevich Ezhov. Viktor Nikolaevich raised 18 masters of sports and 2 masters of sports in international class swimming.
At the master class, you will learn about the important subtleties of the technique of reversal when swimming the crawl, as well as analyze the main mistakes. At the workshop, you will learn two types of high-speed turns - a somersault and a pendulum. The workshop will be useful for both beginners and experienced swimmers.
You can register for the workshop by the link
Guys performing exercises - take your time! If you do everything calmly, measuredly, slowly, then you will learn to swim much faster!
You can see clearly the correct technique of turns and not make basic mistakes, as well as many other useful videos on our YouTube channel.
Exercise One - exhale through the nose
The first thing we must learn is to exhale through the nose. Otherwise, each subsequent exercise will be difficult for us or will not succeed at all.
Standing waist-deep in the water, take a deep breath, and then gently submerge under the water with your head. Even before you hide under water, begin to exhale through your nose so that not a drop of water enters it.
Submerged in water, freeze there for a couple of moments, and then gently rise to the surface, continuing to exhale through your nose! Yes Yes! Calculate the exhalation rate so that you can exhale for 15-20 seconds. This time is enough to plunge under water, and again rise to the surface.
Perform exercise 5 to 10 times. Or more! Until you feel confident enough to move on!
Exercise two - somersault between the legs
Starting position: also stand waist-deep in water, then take a deep breath, press your chin to your chest. And then - without lifting your chin from your chest, leaning forward slightly, begin to exhale through your nose and dive under the water. With the help of the work of the hands, direct the head, and behind it the body between the legs, and - make a flip-flip in the water. After - stand on your feet.
Important! Do not forget to exhale through your nose all the time during all movements underwater!
Perform this somersault 5 to 10 times, or as much as necessary for a feeling of confidence.
Fourth exercise - somersault with feet touching the side
The next thing we practice is a somersault with feet touching the side. We also swim to the side, make a somersault, but do not get on our feet, but touch it with our feet and fix this moment. And only then we get to our feet. Perform 5 to 10 times. Or more! To whom it is necessary! Before the advent of automatism!
Fifth exercise - somersault, kick and arrow
Performing a somersault at the side, push with your feet from it, and then slide on your back in the position of the arrow until it stops completely on the surface of the water. And here, as never before, the skill of exhaling under water through your nose will come in handy! If at the moment of sliding on your back under water, forget about this technique, swallow water! Exhale through the nose all the time until it comes to the surface.
To gain confidence, you must perform this technique at least 30 times, with stops for rest.
Exercise Six - somersault, kick with turning over on the stomach
In this exercise, you need to roll over onto your stomach at the moment of the push from the side and then slide the arrow on your chest.
So that the whole combination will turn out beautifully and quickly, you will have to work on it quite a lot. Someone will need to repeat this element 100 times, someone much more!
But gradually you will begin to notice that at the time of the coup you are no longer facing up, but a little on your side, so as to quickly turn on your stomach. This is a more natural position for reaching the arrow.
Important! You do a rower while doing a somersault at the side, not with two hands, but with the one in front. So you will not lose time.