Good afternoon, dear readers. Quite often, I have to deal with such a problem as customer complaints regarding malfunctions in dishwashers. Often excited and angry people come to the store in order to return the goods due to the fact that they allegedly sold low-quality goods, not even realizing that they themselves became a "stumbling block" for expensive equipment. The reason for this may be improper care, which is why it is so important to know how to clean the dishwasher at home, which will be discussed in today's article.
Standard cleaning technology
In order to clean the scale, grease and blockages in the dishwasher, it is not necessary to call a specialist. Surely you are wondering how you can do this, and I will tell you about it.
The cleaning procedure can be divided into six stages:
- Disconnecting the appliance from the network and setting all dishwasher programs to zero.
- Clean the strainer once a week. It is through this element that several times a day all the fat passes through, and the filter absorbs it all like a sponge. If you do the filter cleaning procedure less than once every 7 days, then soon it can lead to an unpleasant odor. Modern models of dishwashers have a simple design, so the filter element is simply removable. To clean the mesh, you need to thoroughly rinse it under warm water with a thick detergent and a hard washcloth (in the worst cases you will have to use a toothbrush). After washing, the part is dried and installed in its place.
- Blade cleaning. The process of cleaning the blade mechanism (rocker arm and impeller) is carried out as it becomes contaminated. To do this, pull out the dirty blades and wash them thoroughly in hot water. To remove fat, you can use a thick dishwashing detergent, but clogs in the holes will have to be removed using a toothpick or a thin wire. It is important to monitor the cleanliness of the installation axis, because this can interfere with the rotation of the washed blades.
- Cleaning doors and their connection to the dishwasher. Have you often noticed that if you do not monitor the purity of these parts for a long time, then the machine starts to exude an unpleasant odor? The reason for this is the accumulation of fat, eaten in rubber seals. This problem can be solved with soda diluted in water to the state of slurry, or with a thick dishwashing detergent (the procedure is worth every 2-3 months).
- Empty the baskets. To do this, you will need to remove the elements, soak them in water with a cleaning agent, thoroughly clean the baskets with a washcloth or brush, dry and return to their original place.
- Pulling debris out of the “dead zone” located just below the door. Despite the fact that water does not get there, but leftovers accumulate in this compartment rather willingly. During cleaning, remove all debris and clean the compartment with a special gel for dishwashers.
- If the pump or the water inlet hose is often clogged, then these important parts can be helped, without which the normal operation of the device is impossible. To do this, it is sufficient to periodically clean the elements with a toothpick.
After all these procedures, dry the inside of the dishwasher. Such prevention will avoid frequent breakdowns and extend the operational life of the equipment.
How to remove scale, grease and blockages by folk methods
Once, a customer came to our electronics store who bought a dishwasher from us about six months ago. She threw a real scandal with the words that we sold her defective equipment, which so quickly began to function poorly. So that you understand the situation, the dirt has ceased to be completely removed from the dishes.
The lady began to demand a refund for the goods or payment for the repair of a broken car. Then I had to ask the customer a counter-question, and how often did you clean such an expensive device, did you use special tools, how often did you use them? The answer simply led me into a rage. She said she often used pills to clean dishes and a dishwasher.
That is, for half a year of operation, a hose, drain or filter has never been cleaned. Then I had to remind the woman again about the frequency of “hygiene” of technology and talk about an effective folk remedy against scale, which every housewife can find in her kitchen. Effectively clean scale at home can be citric acid. To do this, you need 200-400 grams of acid, which you need to fill in the dishwasher, after which you need to start the usual dishwashing mode. Just a few days later, the customer came with an apology and thanked for useful advice.
If you don’t want to get into the same awkward situations, you should pay more attention to the technique and take note of several popular methods of cleaning the dishwasher from scale, fat and clogging.
- As you already understood, the first remedy is citric acid. It perfectly eliminates scale, blockages in the drain and greasy growths on important elements. The only rule when using such a “burning” product is to re-flush the device in the normal washing mode to completely remove the remaining lemon.
- The second option is lemon juice. In order to get rid of fat on the door and rubber bands, it is enough to squeeze the juice of 3 fruits and wipe them with the indicated elements, then wipe them dry.
- Another effective remedy with scale and blockages can be called vinegar. To clean with vinegar, you will need to pour 400 ml of the product into the bottom of the basket, turn on the unit to heat the water, start the device and stop it for about half a cycle. If the blockage is negligible, then you can continue the washing process after 30 minutes. If you need to get rid of the blockage more seriously, then leave the machine in this condition at night, and in the morning finish the cycle.
- A more risky method is bleach. If the internal parts of your dishwasher are made of stainless steel, then you will have to abandon this tool immediately. If not, then know that bleach will be a great way to combat mold. To do this, pour 200 ml of the solution into the dishwasher and start a full washing cycle at high temperature.
Do not forget about the prevention of the occurrence of fatty inclusions, unpleasant aroma, scale. Fairy, Fairy Platinum (soda tablets), Antinakipin or Finish for dishwashers can help you with this.
Remember that the cause of poor performance or breakdown of equipment is often the incorrect care of it. I hope that after reading this article, you will begin to take more care of your dishwasher and be able to inexpensively clean it yourself. By the way, do not forget about your other friends from the world of technology, such as a washing machine - she also needs periodic cleaning. Subscribe to updates, invite friends and always be the first to know the news of the world of technology.
Thanks for attention! See you again on my blog. Sincerely, Rostislav Kuzmin.
Waste, consisting of food debris, dirt and fat deposits, regularly accumulates in the PMM drain system. If you do not remove them in time, blockages are inevitable, which lead to disruption of work. In addition, you should regularly clean the holes of the mudguards that wash dishes.
Good tip: always turn off the appliance before cleaning the dishwasher at home.. Otherwise, there is a serious risk of electric shock during wet PMM processing.
How and how to clean the dishwasher
Step 1. We wash removable parts. Take out the dish holders, shelves, all removable parts. Send them soak in a sink or a container of water, into which add a little vinegar, citric acid or any washing gel if there is no dishwasher cleaner.
Step 2. We remove food residues and garbage. Inspect the entire inner surface, especially the grooves and holes. Carefully remove the accumulated dirt, for convenience, you can carefully use a brush, toothpick, tweezers.
Step 3. We clean the ends. Using a toothbrush or rag with vinegar, wash the edges of the door, the narrow space around the baskets. Do not forget to wipe the bottom of the door and all places that are not visible from the outside and are not washed by water from the inside.
Step 4. Remove mold and frozen fat. If you immediately close the door after use, moisture accumulates inside and mold appears, the fat freezes. A powerful remedy against them is ordinary liquid bleach, which is used to wash clothes. Pour 1 cup of bleach into the tray and start the sink at the highest temperature.
Attention! Do not use bleach if there are stainless steel parts inside your dishwasher. If mold appears regularly, start a bleach preventative wash in an empty machine. Never mix bleach with any other chemical.
Step 5. Get rid of the scum. If there is scale, start the cycle at high temperature, pouring 2 - 3 bags of citric acid into the tank instead of detergent. For the prevention of calcareous deposits, repeat this procedure every 3 months.
Step 6. We collect the details. Thoroughly wash and wipe dry removable parts that have soaked all this time. Wipe the entire inside and reinstall the trays and holders.
It is recommended to carry out such cleaning once every six months so that your machine lasts as long as possible unchanged.
Removal of waste from the filter element
Each dishwasher has a filter with different degrees of cleaning, or several of these parts, consistently cleaning the water from dirt. Careful filtration is required in order to use the same water at different stages of the PMM operation.
To free the filter element from dirt, you can perform a simple sequence of actions yourself:
- Turn off the appliance.
- Remove the lower basket from the tank.
- Remove any remaining water from the bottom by wiping it with a sponge or cloth.
- Locate a recess at the bottom, usually located near the spray impeller.
- Remove the filter element from there. This can be done in different ways, depending on the PMM model. If the machine was released more than 7 years ago, a tool may be required. In modern technology Bosch, Siemens and other well-known brands, the filter can be removed very simply. To learn how to do this in each specific model, read the instructions.
- Carefully inspect the niche from which the filter element was removed. If there are particles of food waste, they must be removed using a sponge.
- Remove any dirt from the filter by rinsing it with warm water. To remove grease from the surface of the filter element, use, for example, a dishwashing detergent. If the layer of grease and dirt is too large, place the filter cup for a while in the solution of the dishwasher detergent and water. You can also use vinegar or citric acid for this purpose.
Some PMM models have a mesh around the filter. If food remains are stuck in its cells or there is a lot of fat left on the surface, it must also be washed.
Cleaning mudguard holes
Washing the dishes is carried out by liquid coming under pressure from the holes of the upper and lower spraying impellers. Although the washer fluid is continuously cleaned, some openings may become clogged with particles of food waste.
To check their condition and clean, you should perform a few simple steps:
- Remove the upper basket from the tank with the mudguard impeller.
- Remove the impeller. To do this, use the recommendations that should be in the instructions for the device.
- Remove the bottom basket from the tank. Remove the lower mudguard impeller using the instructions.
- Rinse both impellers under running water. Check the condition of the nozzles and clean them if necessary. To do this, you can use a simple toothpick.
- Install all parts in reverse order.
Cleaning the tank, baskets and gaskets
Manufacturers recommend that after each session, clean the dishwasher from grease and scale mechanically. To maintain cleanliness, dry the walls of the tank, both baskets, and the rubber seal on the PMM door with a cloth or sponge. Carefully inspect all body parts and the door for food and grease. In the largest number they accumulate in the joints and the lower part of the door.
The tank should be constantly ventilated, otherwise pretty quickly there appears an unpleasant odor caused by a fungus. If this happens, ordinary bleach will help get rid of mold, but its use can cause damage to metal surfaces. Therefore, it is better not to bring the PMM to this state.
To remove mold, apply bleach to the sponge and wipe the inside of the tank affected by the fungus. After the action of the bleach is completed, remove its residues with water. At the end of the procedure, wash the surfaces of the PMM using a dishwashing detergent.
If plastic baskets contain dried food debris, place them in warm water to soak. Then brush using a soapy solution. Rinse cleaned parts in running water. Before installing them back in the PMM tank, wipe the baskets dry with a rag.
It is recommended that the tank, baskets and door be disinfected from time to time. To do this, it is enough to wash the dishwasher inside using a special cleaning agent designed for dishwashers.
The same means clean the door seal and gaskets. The frequency of the procedure depends on the intensity of use of the dishwasher, but not less than 1 time per month.
How to clean a dishwasher at home using Finish Calgonit? To do this, it is enough to place the bottle in the PMM chamber with its neck down, after removing the sticker. After that, turn on the washing process for 50-90 minutes at high temperature. At the same time, the insides are effectively cleaned of grease and scale.
Another preparation is similarly used - Antinakipin, made in liquid and powder form. To know how to use it correctly, read the instructions.
After processing the above PMM compounds, it is necessary to once again run briefly in the washing mode in order to remove the remnants of chemistry and cleaning products from the inside.
In addition to cleaning products, the industry produces various sprays, gels and liquid formulations designed for cleaning and polishing metal surfaces. There are various flavors on sale that allow you to get rid of unpleasant odors.
Using improvised tools
In addition to special cleaning products, you can use improvised products that are in every kitchen. This is vinegar, citric acid and baking soda.
Here are some ways to use these tools:
- Pour two cups of vinegar into the bowl and place it in the upper basket. Pour soda into the bottom. After that, start the PMM using continuous high temperature operation. As soon as the water in the machine heats up, press the pause and leave the dishwasher in this position for several hours. Then remove the pause mode so that the PMM continues washing and removes any residual grease, dirt and scale.
- It is good to clean the dishwasher with citric acid. The cleaning procedure will require about 200 g of powder. Use acid in the same way as in the previous case. Just keep in mind: citric acid and vinegar adversely affect sealant and gaskets. Over time, the rubber material may lose its elastic properties.
- Prepare the vinegar solution in a 1: 1 ratio and pour it into the spray bottle. Spread the liquid evenly over the surface of the tank, but be careful not to get the composition on the seals. After 30 minutes, manually clean all metal surfaces and rinse with PMM by briefly turning on the high-temperature washing mode.
In conclusion, I would like to give advice: use only soft non-metallic brushes and soft fiber rags to clean dishwashers. As a result of using harsh cleaning agents, rust may appear on the surface of the tank and baskets over time. As you can see, it’s easy to clean the dishwasher with your own hands. It is only necessary to follow the general recommendations, then the dishwasher will serve for a long time.
How to clean the PMM yourself, you can find out from the video:
Electronic engineer with many years of experience. For several years he was engaged in the organization of repair of household appliances. I am glad to share with readers my knowledge in the field of operation and repair of devices. Обожает спортивную рыбалку, водный туризм и путешествия.
Нашли ошибку? Выделите текст мышкой и нажмите:
Привычка «экономно» пользоваться стиральной машиной-автомат может привести к появлению в ней неприятного запаха. Washings at temperatures below 60 ℃ and short rinses allow fungi and bacteria from dirty clothes to remain on the inner surfaces and actively multiply.
Fresh lemon is not only suitable for tea: clean the dirt from the surface of the acrylic bath by rubbing with half a cut citrus, or quickly wash the microwave, putting in it a container of water and lemon slices for 8-10 minutes at maximum power. Softened dirt will simply wipe with a sponge.
The threads of gold and silver, which in ancient times embroidered clothes, are called the cantle. To obtain them, the metal wire was pulled with ticks for a long time to the state of the required subtlety. From here came the expression “pull (breed) the gimlet” - “to do long, monotonous work” or “to delay the completion of a business”.
In the dishwasher, not only plates and cups are well washed. You can load plastic toys, glass shades of fixtures and even dirty vegetables, such as potatoes, but without the use of detergents.
Stretch ceilings made of PVC film are able to withstand from 70 to 120 liters of water per 1 m 2 of their area (depending on the size of the ceiling, its degree of tension and the quality of the film). So you can not be afraid of leaks from neighbors from above.
There are special traps for fighting moths. Pheromones of females attracting males are added to the sticky layer with which they are coated. Adhering to the trap, they drop out of the breeding process, which leads to a decrease in the moth population.
Before removing various stains from clothes, you need to find out how safe the chosen solvent is for the fabric itself. It is applied in a small amount to an inconspicuous part of the thing from the inside for 5-10 minutes. If the material retains its structure and color, you can go to the spots.
If the first signs of bearing in the form of untidy spools appeared on your favorite things, you can get rid of them with the help of a special machine - a shaver. He quickly and efficiently shaves the fibers of the fabric that are bundled up into lumps and restores things to a dignified appearance.
It is easiest to remove scale and carbon from the sole of the iron with common salt. Pour a thick layer of salt onto the paper, heat the iron to the maximum, and several times, pressing lightly, slide the iron over the salt litter.
When is the dishwasher in need of cleaning?
Full-fledged care for the PMM - the dishwasher - extends its operational life and has a positive effect on productivity. The main source of blockages is food debris that is unavoidable, even if the dishes are carefully prepared before being placed in the appliance. Scale and grease are collected on the internal parts, which reduces the efficiency of the household appliance.
Signs of the need for dishwasher service:
- bad smell. A strange odor is most likely a sign of accumulation of debris and fat in the working units, the growth of mold,
- the unnaturally loud sounds made by the pump are an occasion to check the filter. The quality of the processing of dishes depends on its purity.
The intensity of contamination depends on the hardness of the water, the quality of the preliminary treatment and the volume of loaded greasy dishes, the frequency of starting the PMM, the characteristics of the detergents involved.
Why do I need to clean the dishwasher?
Despite the fact that the main activity of this apparatus is cleaning dishes, the machine itself has some problems with self-cleaning. Like any other appliance, the dishwasher has its own characteristics and difficulties:
- With high salinity of water and its low quality, calcareous deposits can form on the water supply elements. This can lead to premature failure of the device.
- In case of insufficient preliminary cleaning of the dishes, food residues accumulate in the drain filter. Subsequently, it begins to decompose, releasing pathogenic organisms and unpleasant odors into the container.
- Water sprays inside the working container may not completely treat the surface of the machine. So-called "dead zones" are formed, not washed by a sufficient amount of water. As a result, dirt accumulates in these places very quickly.
- Scale forms on the heating elements. Its surplus increases the amount of consumed electricity. And in severely advanced cases, scale can lead to permanent damage to the device.
- Elevated temperature - ideal conditions for the development of pathogens and mold. Instead of a cleaning effect, the machine will perform completely opposite actions.
So that the above problems do not cause big problems, you should regularly clean the device from all types of pollution. Next, we will look at how to clean the dishwasher at home.
Professional drug options
The mechanical effect is not able to remove all plaque from the internal cavities, therefore it is necessary to start the equipment in a long mode, the purchased product and high temperature will correct the defects.
Yellow and rusty spots on functional elements are the consequences of a high concentration of iron in water. In this case, it is recommended to equip the inlet hose with an appropriate filter. Fresh stains can be removed with a rag soaked in stainless steel care solution. Traces of stale corrosion after flushing must be covered with a rust preventative.
Preparations of the professional segment have a balanced composition and have a complex effect. The most popular are the following lines that help clean the dishwasher from scale and grease:
- Anti-scale - a degreasing powder mixture that can cope with scale and lime deposits on the internal components of the equipment,
- Electrolux - a liquid composition that breaks down food debris and fat, it aromatizes and fights scale,
- FinishMachineCleaner - due to the high temperature, the membrane that seals the neck of the container with the active liquid dissolves, the product effectively eliminates scale, grease, unpleasant odors,
- FILTERO - the solution is used for preventive purposes.
Anti-scale - dishwasher cleaner
All these solutions have a similar principle of operation: they need to be placed in an empty machine, run it for 1.5 hours in high temperature mode. The next short cycle is idle, it is needed to get rid of the remnants of chemistry. At the final stage, all surfaces should be dried with a soft rag.
There are specialized fluids and sprays that are useful for washing and polishing walls made of stainless steel, and baskets can be equipped with fragrances that preserve their life for several cycles. Experts caution against the use of dishwashing liquid during start-up: copious foaming will adversely affect work units, such formulations can only be used when manually wiping the cavities of the device.
As with washing machines, there are inexpensive ways to care for PMM. To clean the drain and internal elements, you need to pour a couple of glasses of vinegar into a clean container, place it in the upper tray, put soda on the bottom and turn on the appliance for a long time. At the time of heating the water, you need to pause the machine and leave it for several hours. This is necessary to soften contaminants, then they will be removed together with water.
Citric acid is considered a universal remedy to cope with scale. The required amount of substance depends on the intensity of pollution and the working volume of the machine, on average, 150-200 g is enough. The equipment is also started at high temperature and stopped for a while.
It may be more appropriate to use a gentle method - manual washing of the inner walls and scale-affected surfaces using a spray bottle, into which an aqueous solution of lemon powder and vinegar is poured. Avoid contact with skin and rubber elements.
You can also combine powdered soda (about a glass) with a couple of spoons of hydrogen peroxide and 10-15 drops of essential oil. The mixture is treated with a spatula, in consistency it should resemble wet sand. Using a spoon, the workpiece is formed into balls and laid out at the bottom of the PMM, the latter is launched for a long cycle. To increase efficiency, you can put in a basket a container with a glass of vinegar.
A dishwasher is one of the most time-saving things in the household, but there are a few more things you can do to make it work better.
First descale. It accumulates on the heating elements, which leads to malfunctions in the operation of the equipment, the machine begins to heat the water poorly.
To clean the dishwasher from scale, you will need vinegar, detergent for this device, citric acid and a toothbrush. Everything can be bought at the household chemistry store and in the grocery department.
How to clean the dishwasher:
- Vinegar. Pour one cup of the product into a container or cup and place it on the top shelf in the dishwasher. Turn on the device, start the cycle. This will safely kill germs and remove scale. Using bleach or any other chemical cleaning agent is dangerous. If it is not washed properly, it can settle on dishes and enter the body. Pour 180 g of baking soda into the bottom. It will absorb unpleasant odors. When the temperature of the liquid rises, pause the equipment for 1 hour. This will help to better clean the dishwasher. Vinegar and baking soda will begin to remove dirt from the insides and remove stench. Then complete the program. Wipe the insides after completing the cycle. Use a dry cotton rag or cloth. Vinegar for dishwasher cleaning can be used once a month. This will prevent the growth of bacteria, remove scale and unpleasant odor.
- Citric acid or juice will not only remove the smell, they can get rid of fat, rust and scale. It will take 300-400 gr. acid or 2 cups of juice. Pour the first into the detergent drawer, put the second on a shelf. We start an intensive washing cycle and wait for the program to finish. Then rinse with clean water, starting a rinse cycle. You can clean the dishwasher with citric acid no more than 1 time per week.
- Saves scale from drill. This tool is sold in a pharmacy, it is cheap, but it works quickly and effectively. First, the insides are wiped with this tool, then sodium borate is diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 5, poured into a tray for detergents and a regular cycle is started.
After the wash cycle, wipe the outside and door seals using a dishwashing detergent or distilled white vinegar.
How to care for a dishwasher
- Run the very first cycle without dishes and with detergent.
- So that you do not have to call a master to fix the drain system, clean the dishes thoroughly from the remnants of food.
- Regularly remove accumulated dirt at the bottom of the machine, rinse the filters once a week.
- Do not forget to add a special softener, especially if the water is very hard - this will prevent damage to the heating elements due to scale.