Melting chocolate chips is one of the easiest ways to get melted chocolate. The larger the surface area of the chocolate chips, the easier and faster it will melt, improving your chances of getting melted chocolate before condensation or curling occurs. However, the smaller the size of the chocolate chips, the more carefully it should be melted, taking care that the chocolate does not burn and does not dry out. This article explains how best to get melted chocolate.
The easiest way to melt chocolate in a water bath. This is the most gentle way, the process is easy to control.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put in a small saucepan,
- Pour a little water into a larger pan and put on fire until it boils,
- Put a small saucepan with chocolate on top of a large one (boiling water should not touch the bottom of this pan),
- Stir the chocolate mass until it is completely melted.
📹 Video - how to properly prepare chocolate icing for a cake in a water bath
Quickly melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put in a ceramic plate suitable for microwave,
- At high power, warm the mass up to 20 seconds,
- The process must be repeated until completely melted, stirring occasionally.
Never use plastic dishes for this, because in this case condensate settles on the surface of the chocolate. Be careful not to burn the icing.
- Rub the chocolate into a small heat-resistant bowl,
- Put in the oven at 150 degrees for several minutes,
- The process must be monitored and regularly stirred until it becomes the desired consistency.
Each type of chocolate when melting has its own consistency. The darker, the thinner it gets. Vanilla is combined with white chocolate, and citruses - orange and mandarin are suitable for black.
📹 Video - 3 ways to melt chocolate
This method is suitable for the preparation of milk or white glaze.
- Grate the chocolate
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of milk into the bottom of the saucepan, add chocolate chips,
- Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
For this method, it is useful to put a saucepan on a stove with a special fire divider. Dark chocolate in this case can be melted without milk.
In a slow cooker
With the advent of this wonderful device, the life of the housewives has changed a lot. Everything can be cooked in it, including icing.
- Grate the chocolate in a double boiler pan,
- Set the mode “steaming” for 5-10 minutes,
- After this time, you will receive a perfectly melted product.
Learn how to smooth a cake using a glaze (such as ganache). Go to the article.
Using a plastic bag
- Grind the chocolate and put it in a plastic bag. Tie the bag tight
- Bring the water in a pan to a boil and put in it a bag of chocolate until it is completely melted.
For this method, it is convenient to melt several tiles at once in order to get by with the least losses when removing the chocolate mass from the bag. It is best to place a bag of chocolate in another bag, for safety.
📹 Video - how to melt a chocolate bar in a pastry bag
Energy saving way
If it’s summer and it’s a hot sunny day, and you need to melt milk or white chocolate, then you can try the most energy-efficient way.
- Finely break the tile and place it in a bowl,
- Take out a plate in the sun or a loggia with tightly closed windows. As a rule, in summer the temperature there remains above 40 degrees, which corresponds to the melting point of chocolate.
For such a primitive method, it is best to grate the chocolate bar. The fine fraction will quickly melt to a liquid state.
🍫 Which chocolate is best for icing
Glaze can be made from any chocolate, it depends on your taste. Most often take dark or black. It is good for decorating any pastry.
Glaze made of dark chocolate perfectly retains its luster and shape on cakes and desserts.
It can also be used to make sweets at home.
📹 Video - chocolate icing for cocoa cake
Why chocolate is so useful
Pure chocolate (bitter black) has various positive qualities:
- Using it in small amounts reduces the risk of a heart attack,
- Cheers up
- It is a powerful antioxidant,
- Lowers blood sugar
- Rich in calcium, magnesium and phosphorus,
- Tianins have antibacterial properties and prevent plaque formation.
It is recommended to use real dark chocolate to prevent colds and spring fatigue.
Preparation of liquid chocolate milk glaze
How to melt a chocolate to decorate a cake so that the icing is uniform and supple for application. Read about it in this recipe.
- one bar of milk chocolate
- 100 grams of butter,
- 2 tbsp. tablespoons of milk
- 0.5 tbsp. Sahara,
- one yolk
- Grate chocolate
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat,
- Add sugar and milk, stir until sugar is completely dissolved,
- Bring the mass to a boil, remove from heat and grind quickly with the yolk.
- Add chocolate chips. Beat with a wooden spoon.
This glaze is perfect for decorating cake, pastries and sweets.
💡 Useful pastry tips
📌 How to melt chocolate at home:
- Do not use a product of dubious quality,
- Do not use porous chocolate when making glaze,
- Only glaze on a weak plate power,
- If the icing is liquid, add a little icing sugar,
- To make it glossy, add some butter,
- Glaze can also be made using cocoa powder with the addition of sugar, butter and milk,
- A spoonful of lemon juice gives piquancy
- Instead of sugar, it’s better to use powdered sugar, after sifting it,
- Do not put glazed cake in the refrigerator, allow to congeal at room temperature, otherwise a white coating will form.
- Do not apply icing on the cream - it will slip and give the cake a sloppy look.
The icing should be distributed from the center of the cake to the edges. You can use a tablespoon for this. Get beautiful smudges.
Frozen icing can be decorated with nuts, raisins, fruits or sprinkled with powdered sugar using a stencil.
First you need to choose: basic rules
Melting chocolate is not as difficult as it might initially seem. However, you need to purchase a quality product that can easily be converted from solid to liquid, and then can freeze again if necessary without cracking on the surface.
When choosing chocolate, you need to consider:
- ideal is table or pastry chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa butter,
- you can not take chocolates with various additions (nuts, fudge, raisins, etc.),
- low quality tiles will not work,
- a uniform liquid mass of porous chocolate will not work,
The shape of the selected product does not affect the outcome in any way: you can take as a piece of chocolate, and tiled or crumb.
In a water or steam bath
No tricks are required to melt the chocolate in a water bath. Similarly, melting is performed on a steam bath. Its difference is only that the top saucepan does not immerse in water, but is located above it and is heated by steam. But this must be done correctly, otherwise you will not see the quality. We carefully study the algorithm:
- Two containers are selected from which you can build a water (steam) bath. Inside the larger pan, water is poured, then a smaller pan is inserted on top.
- The prepared product is crushed by cutting or breaking a piece.
- A chocolate treat is sent to a small pan, the stove is turned on.
- The mass is mixed with a spoon, so it will begin to melt faster and will not stick to the walls.
When most of the mass has become liquid, you can remove from the stove or at least remove the fire. The remaining pieces will melt in a hot environment.
When carrying out this simple procedure, you must carefully monitor the degree of heating. The fire has to be made small. Chocolate mass should not boil.
To melt white chocolate, it is enough to heat it to a temperature of 45º, and black melts at 50º. In no case should you close the pan with a lid, because drops of steam will settle on the surface, which then fall down. Water reduces the quality of the finished product.
In the microwave
A microwave is perfect for making liquid chocolate. However, working with it, though quickly, is dangerous: with the slightest non-compliance with the technology, you can spoil the product. But you have to try, because ideally this is the fastest way to melt chocolate for cake or pastries.
First you need to choose the right dishes. You will need a small capacity that does not heat up when it is in the microwave. This will ensure uniform heating, gradual melting.
Power and temperature are the main parameters that you need to pay close attention to. Not all microwave ovens have the function of setting the temperature, then you have to rely on power. A small one is chosen so as not to turn chocolate into coals instead of liquid substance.
Separately, it is worth mentioning the melting time. It directly depends on the amount of melted product, its quality, temperature and even the speed of rotation of the disk. It is proposed to set a short time (15 seconds) and check the status of the product by taking it out and mixing.
The process is extremely simple:
- Crush the chocolate into small pieces, you can grate it on a coarse grater, turning it into chips
- Put the bowl with chocolate pieces in the microwave, turn it on low power for 15 seconds.
- Check condition, mix.
- Melt to dissolve almost all the pieces.
- Take out and bring with stirring until the chocolate chips are completely dissolved.
How to melt chocolate in a water bath
Stage 1: To melt chocolate in a water bath (,), it is necessary to collect water in a container prepared in advance. This water must be put on the tile. It does not matter whether this stove is gas or electric. The main thing is to observe the temperature regime.
Stage 2: It is necessary to wait until the water is completely heated over a full fire (not to a boil!).
3 stage: In a container with a thick bottom, put the chocolate cut into small pieces. You can break a bar of chocolate into slices. Place this container over water. Make sure that the water does not come into contact with the plate, otherwise chocolate may lose its taste. In addition, there is no need to bring the water bath to a boil. Place the stove on a slow fire. Do not forget to stir the chocolate.
On a note! Pay attention that the capacity in the water bath is dry. Otherwise, chocolate may burn.
Stage 4: After the chocolate has melted, turn off the stove and cover the container in the water bath with a film. When warm, pieces of chocolate can melt evenly.
What mistakes can be made when melting chocolate in a water bath? As already mentioned, it is wrong to bring water to a boil. Chocolate in a water bath, of course, will melt (and pretty quickly). However, after cooling, the liquid chocolate will fill up with lumps. From such a product it will no longer be possible to make chocolate fondue or icing.
How to melt chocolate in the microwave
Melting chocolate at home can be quite simple if you carry out the procedure using a microwave. The microwave method is to the liking of all newcomers to this business. It is necessary to grind the bar of chocolate and put it in ceramic dishes. Next, you need to adjust the microwave heating for 3 minutes and stop the process every half minute in order to mix the liquid consistency. In conclusion, you can put the chocolate in the microwave to defrost for 2 minutes.
How to melt chocolate on the stove
There are times when the hostess does not know how to melt chocolate, and time is limited. She finds nothing better than just breaking chocolate into a pot and putting it on the stove. We do not recommend this method of melting chocolate. Firstly, chocolate turns out to be of the wrong consistency, it may burn or lose taste. Secondly, it’s very difficult to melt chocolate on the stove correctly. It is necessary to add various liquids (water, cream) to achieve the desired liquid consistency without lumps.
Video: how to melt chocolate so that it is liquid
We hope that preparing a chocolate delicacy will be a very interesting experience for you. You will undoubtedly need these small cooking recipes in the future if you decide to surprise your loved ones with the unusual serving of desserts.
We suggest you also watch a video on how to melt a chocolate bar correctly.