After creating your Discord server, many beginners may have various questions regarding server administration. One of these questions may be “How to delete all messages in Discord?”. Such a question can be asked for a variety of reasons: from deleting one unnecessary message to cleaning the entire database from prying eyes.
Method 1: Delete correspondence by one message
This method is only suitable if it is necessary to delete the correspondence only partially. As a large-scale cleaning option, this method is the worst, because it requires costs by repeating actions many times.
- Select the vertical ellipsis next to the message you want to delete.
- From the list, select the "Delete" action.
- Confirm the selected operation.
Clearing a chat in Discord (instruction)
Regular communication in the messenger has the ability to clog the device’s memory. Messages accumulate, and many of them do not carry a semantic load. Therefore, their removal is necessary.
In addition, keeping all correspondence is very risky. There is a high probability of data leakage, as a result of which it can be used as compromising material on yourself. In order to prevent such an outcome of events, it is necessary to clean the history in a timely manner. In Discord, this can be done in three ways:
- Delete channel.
- Separate deletion of each message.
- Delete all messages in the last week.
After sending, there are only a few seconds that allow you to delete the message before it is visible to all members of the channel. The choice of cleaning method is very situational, and is selected according to the personal needs of the creator of the server. Read more about each of the methods with instructions for use.
Method one, delete the entire channel and create a new one
It’s easier not to come up with an option. When the topic has exhausted itself, or just a lot of incriminating evidence has accumulated in the discussions, completely delete the channel and create a new one. Removal occurs in a few seconds, and cannot be restored.
Attention! If there is important information, rewrite it in a separate document or re-save screenshots.
You need to follow some simple steps:
- Launch Discord and go to the channel where you want to delete the story.
- Opposite the channel name, there is a settings icon that you need to click on.
A menu will open where you need to select - Delete channel.
Then create a new one, even with the same name.
Method two: delete each message individually
The longest cleaning method. Due to the large time costs, it is only suitable for the removal of a small amount. Instructions for use:
Right-click on the message that you want to delete and select - Delete.
Deleted messages will be lost for all users of the channel. If it was bookmarked, it will disappear.
The third way: cleaning in the last 7 days
This method applies only to the messages of the user you want to ban. Before sending to the black list, you will be offered a choice for which period to delete the history of letters from the user:
- Twenty-four hours.
- Or the last seven days (and nights).
How to blacklist a person:
- right-click on the username and select - Ban (the user’s nickname will be indicated next).
Indicate the reason at will, you can leave the field empty.
How often is it worth clearing a chat?
Cleaning the chat is entirely up to your community theme. If you exchange humor, then it makes no sense to delete, it is better to leave everything as it is, so that you can return to your favorite record.
If you have a hodgepodge, conditionally, complete freedom of discussion on various topics, it is better to clean it at least once every few days. Ideally, of course - once a day. There are no specific requirements in this matter, therefore, each Administrator sets a standard for himself in this matter.
Discord chat refers to individual channels. They, in turn, are divided into voice and text according to the type of communication methods used.
As a basic element of work in Discord, a server is created by the user. After that, it is already possible to create an unlimited number of channels of both types.
Clearing Chat in Discord
It is immediately necessary to say that the application does not provide users with tools to instantly delete all messages that have accumulated in the channel. Deletion is possible only for individual records (messages). However, there is one way to speed up the cleaning process. We are talking about such a term as "reaction", that is, the response of other participants in the conversation to posted messages.
To remove all reactions in the chat, the following procedure is provided:
- Log in to Discord,
- Select channel of interest,
- On the right side of the selected message, click on the colon icon,
- Select the option "Delete all reactions" from the drop-down menu.
Of course, in this way it is impossible to purge all messages with one click, but this will significantly reduce the time required for a full cleaning. The messages of the participants in the conversation themselves will have to be deleted manually one at a time.
- Log in to the app,
- Select channel of interest,
- Next to each message, click on the colon icon,
- Select the option “Delete” from the drop-down menu.
You can also delete by highlighting the message text with the right button and then clicking on the proposed option “Delete”.
In the event that the need for the channel disappears, it can simply be deleted, and for this it will take only a few keystrokes. To do this, perform the following set of actions:
- Go to the application,
- Select channel of interest,
- Go to the "Menu" section or right-click,
- From the proposed list of actions, select the option “Delete channel”.
Thus, it is possible both to delete the channel itself and the entries in it. Let the latter procedure require certain losses of time.
About the program itself
The Discord program is designed to organize voice communication of online game players. Of course, the service also offers standard text communication capabilities, but it must be admitted that the text channels of the application are inferior to instant messengers in terms of functionality. We must admit that the Discord project is primarily aimed at the gaming audience.
Method 2: Delete all messages in Discord by deleting chat
It is possible to delete correspondence using this method rather quickly. The only negative is that you will need to re-create the channel and make its settings. The main advantage - allows you to delete all messages in the Diskord stored on the selected channel.
- Click the gear next to the name of the potential chat you want to clear.
- The channel editing window will open. Select the very last item - “Delete Channel”.
- Answer positively to the pop-up question.
Recall that officially Discord does not recognize such concepts as a group or chat. Most often they mean a place where you can conduct group communication. Only in Discord are such places called a little differently - channels. Moreover, the channels can be of two types: text and voice. Many people prefer Discord for the reason that it allows participants to communicate in several text channels at the same time, without leaving the voice channel.
Error installing / updating Discord?
Do you have difficulties with installation and / or pop-up errors that prevent you from installing the application? They are not universal, various kinds of problems may arise, which may be the reason for the installation process to fail. Here are some general steps you can take to solve this problem.
- Close Discord in the system tray and make sure all Discord processes are interrupted and terminated. (Sometimes wandering processes can hide in the system panel or in your task manager - check again!)
- Delete the following two directories:
- % AppData% / Discord
- % LocalAppData% / Discord
To find these directories, press the Start key combination + R, and press Enter:
% appdata% in the Run window and press Enter:
Then% localappdata% in the Run window and press Enter:
Then find the “Discord” directory in both windows and delete them.
If your operating system informs you that these files cannot be deleted due to the fact that they are still in use, open the Task Manager and delete all processes that concern Discord there and in the start up tab.
* Restart your system.
In some cases, additional measures may be required.
Run the program installation file as administrator.
Set administrator rights for the application at (% LocalAppData% / Discord / latest version) and enable compatibility with Windows 7 or 8 (or both).
Make sure all Discord applications are closed (even the browser version) before starting.
Check if you have Microsoft visual c ++ and the .NET Framework installed (it is recommended to upgrade to the latest version). Add Discord to the Firewall exceptions (or just disable the Firewall).
Disable hardware acceleration (User Settings - Appearance - Hardware Acceleration, uncheck).
First, check the overlay settings in the program, the “Games” and “Overlay” tabs, there should be ticks everywhere. Then check your antivirus, add Discord and the plugins folder to the exceptions (it is recommended to completely disable the antivirus for the duration of the scan). If the game is running as administrator, Discord must be started in the same way. If you have Windows 10 installed, disable the DVR (xbox) function, MSI Afterburners and uninstall Rivatuner.
Perhaps the server on which you are located does not have the best settings for the region, it is advisable to set Central or Western Europe (in the server settings). In the user’s settings (Discord) go to the “Voice”, “Advanced” tab and try to uncheck the box that says “Enable the priority of the quality of high packet services”.
Method 4: Delete Messages in the Last Week
It also takes place to be a slightly radical way of clearing mailings. However, it allows you to delete all messages in the Discord for the last 7 days.
It is worth noting that this method is only suitable if it is necessary to erase the messages of an individual user, and not the entire chat.
- To do this, on the left side of the chat, where the participants are located, select the user whose messages you want to delete, right-click.
- Select Ban.
- After that, you can choose the period of time for which you want to erase the correspondence. Discord offers two options: the last 7 days and the last 24 hours. Mark the interval you need and click "Ban".
In conclusion, the banned user will be blocked for the server, that is, he will not be able to use the invitation link to the resource until it is unlocked by the creator or participant with administrator rights. How to unban a person is described in the following article.
Method 5: Mee6 Bot
Despite the fact that Discord does not allow you to delete all messages, there is a way to erase up to 100 messages at a time. To do this, you just need to install the additional Mee6 bot. It is worth recognizing that this is the simplest and fastest method that allows you to delete correspondence.
In essence, Mee6 is a music bot, but it carries several useful features.
- The first step is to add the bot to your server. Follow this link .
- Run the command "Add to Discord».
- Log in to the Mee6 bot.
- Next, you need to select the server on which Mee6 will dominate.
- In the next window, you can set the rights that will be available to the added bot.
- After clicking “Authorize”, confirm that you are not a robot.
- After adding the bot to the server, a window will open where you should specify the configuration and parameters of the bot. For example, several plugins were included. One of them is help.
- For the changes to take effect, check the box and click on "Update", I.e. update.
- To check the operation of the command, on the server in any of the chats send a message! Help.
- After that, a description of the different items of the plugins should come by personal message from the bot.
- From the Mee6 sub message, it will be clear that the set of commands for deleting messages can contain the “Moderator” plugin. In the bot configuration editing window, click on the orange oval with the signature “Disabled” near the “Moderator” section.
- Confirm the add plugin.
- Check the inclusion of the! Clear command and save the changes using the Update operation. The! Clear xx command allows you to delete up to 100 messages at a time, where instead of xx you need to add the number of deleted messages.
- Send a message with the command! Clear 50.
- This means that the last 50 messages will be deleted from the chat. Counting deleted messages is carried out from the end of the correspondence, that is, new messages are deleted first, and then old ones.
The action algorithm that allows you to delete correspondence through the interface of a mobile phone is completely similar to the operations performed. That is why we will not illustrate them.
Summing up the results for each method, it can be noted that in case it is necessary to delete all messages in Diskord it is better to use the additional Mee6 bot. However, if the correspondence is quite large, it would be more expedient to simply delete the chat and create it again. It also touched on how to clear individual user messages over the past week.